Monday, May 30, 2011

inspiration and remembering

the date was in april.
it was a beautiful day in washington d.c.
i was with my favorite classmates...
the peck high school symphonic band of the 2005-06 school year.

we had come on our band trip to this place via gettysburg, pa where we toured the sacred lands where so many died.

during this trip we were privileged enough to play a concert on the steps of the lincoln memorial, visit the World War Two and Korea and Vietnam memorials as well. but the best memory I have from this trip is when I got to place a wreath on the tomb of the unknown solider at arlington national cemetery. myself and three other friends were chosen, voted by our peers, selected to have this great honor. i was able to see the "locker room" of the guards, experience a guard change, and place the wreath under the sun of this april day.


this is myself and my friends Elyse, Andrew T., and Andrew G.


the tomb of the unknown solider sits at the top of a hill in the cemetery. the view from the top is amazing, heartbreaking, astonishing, and sad all at the same time. as you look down upon the rows and rows of white headstones, it makes a straight line in evry direction. all of the people who have given their lives in service to our country... my heart hurt for the families of those affected by the wars. as the horn player began playing taps my heart welled up with thankfulness and prayer. as we turned around and headed back up the steps as the ceremony concluded i could not help but cry. it was overwhelming. it was powerful. it was for sure one of the most amazing experiences of my entire life. in that moment i realized, the great and mighty power of God. he knows every solider who has been lost, where they have been laid to rest. He has the power to bring comfort to their families and console them in their pain. He can bring healing and restoration to those who are left behind. He does great things that I cannot even begin to describe or imagine.

today as memorial day, the moment i heard taps being played my mind took me right back to the top of that hill and i cried thinking of how many more headstones there must be, and how many more families have had to endure the pain of losing a loved one to someone else's battle.

if you are a veteran, today, i thank you from the very bottom of my heart for giving your life to serve for the freedoms that i have in my life.

if you are the relative of a veteran, you are an inspiration to me and your willingness and support of your loved one who has served is something the strive for.

<3 in memory of those serving, those who have served, those who have lost their lives, those whose names and resting places are forever unknown.

happy memorial day.

2 comments:

  1. I live in Arlington...have yet to visit this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your beautiful blog post. My family was in Vietnam:

    http://tinyurl.com/64au22b

    Thank you for honoring and remembering them.

    Have a blessed Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete