Friday, March 11, 2011

Day Three: Community

Ahh Community. I love community. I have been so blessed by those who are willing to acquaint themselves with me. Yesterday I was able to spend some time enjoying the company of a dear friend of mine just receiving encouragement as well as giving him some as well. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary, we went to Guitar Center and a local bookstore. Before we headed back to where he lives we stopped to grab some dinner. We got back and watched some basketball, enjoyed each other's company. We laughed together, we almost cried together, we ate together, and we pointed each other back to Jesus. Slowly more friends joined us as they got home. The laughter we shared reminded me of how thankful I am for friendship and the joy that comes from sharing life.

Today I enjoyed the company of some girls from my youth group. We dissolved into fits of laughter in my living room, and my kitchen, and my basement. We shared in some tears, we ate some food. I went shopping with one girl this afternoon and we have both been refreshed by the company of each other.

I am thankful for this time that I have had with these girls and they show me so much about life. Some days I only seem to see that it is only what I have to offer them that matters, but in reality they can offer me just as much. They offer me insight, and grace, and respect. They share with me in their hurts and their joys. As I helped one of my girls clean a self inflicted wound tonight, she thanked me for the love and genuine acceptance of her. Not in the way of feeling sorry for her, but the fact that she realized that I am not here to judge her. It really humbled me to know that even though most days it seems like I have no idea what I am doing, God still knows and is able to reach even the toughest of hearts.

Ahh there is refreshment in community. Ahh yes...

--A

No comments:

Post a Comment